Pure and genuine as asked by the tradition, soppressata is made selecting meats from legs and loin of swine, coarse-grained cut and flavoured with salt and black pepper in grains. In the lean part, characterised by a brilliant pink colour, one can see small bites of fat, with their white/pink colour, typical of this kind of sausage. The smell is characterised by a delicate fragrance of seasoned meat; at the taste, soppressata results soft but compact, sweet and tasty at the same time.
The processing method of soppressata is carried out in five phases:
- meats, lean as well as fat, are first ground, using a coarse grain, as requested by the tradition;
- meat is then flavoured with salt and spices;
- the mixture obtained is made into sausages in natural swine entrails and then tied up;
- the sausages obtained are brought to dry into dedicated places for four days;
- the product obtained is then seasoned for a period of almost 40 days.