Sito Italiano English Site
HOME       COMPANY      LUCANIA’S TYPICAL SALAMI      BUYING GUIDE    
 
CONTACT       CUSTOMER AREA
       
 
COMPANY
Cirigliano > History
 
 
Sapori Mediterranei
Slow Food Presidium
Contacts
The Lucanica
Cirigliano
 
Newsletter NEWSLETTER
Send this page SEND THIS PAGE
Search SEARCH
 
 
Architecture and Arts
Palazzo Baronale
The baronial palace was built in 1593, on the rests of a previous structure of late Byzantine age. Despite the reworking occurred, the last dating 1842, the present structure has kept the original framework. On the façade it is possible to read the following words: “This old castle, which together with the noble title of Baron was given in MDXCIII first to Filippo Formica, has been restored in MDCCCXLIII by the brothers Filippo Angiolo and Giuseppe, his descendants”.

Particularly interesting is the oval tower, built inside the castle court, a tower with an elliptic plan, which is one of the few examples still present in Europe. The tower has been built over the project of the architect Pietro D’Agincourt. Quite interesting are also the high relief adorning the brackets overlooking the square. Three of the six faces sculpted in the stone present a protruding and peculiar coiffure; the other three show an evident goitre.
Chiesa Madre
The main Church, dedicated to Our Lady of the Assumption, has been built in the XVI century and, at the beginning of the XIX century, it has been almost completely reconstructed. The former structure should have been that of a Latin cross, long the double if compared with the present one. In fact, after the collapse of the rock on which the construction was built, there was the consequent sinking of most of the central nave.

The bell tower body has sustained different remakes as well; the last in 1973 has determined the adding of two more levels. The structure of the church presents today a nave and two aisles, the nave ending in a flat presbytery, not dynamic as the rest of the structure. The paintings that once decorated the apse, nowadays no more existing, dated back to the period of construction of the church and were recast during the fifties. Some wooden statues of the XVII century are guarded inside the church; among these there are Our Lady of the Immaculate Conception, St. Jacob and the Magdalene. There is, moreover, a stone baptistery of the XV century. The church, as it is visible today, is the result of a general restoration ended in 2002.
Chiesa di Santa Lucia
The church, named after St. Lucy, has been built in 1933, wanted by some believers living in the USA, as it can be read in a memorial tablet placed inside the church during the last restoration works.The church has a very simple structure, aisle-less, with a small bell tower whose bell comes from the chapel of St. Maria Vignola, in the countryside, whose ruins are visible near the water mill. The roof is realised in wooden trusses with a structure smoothed at sight. The façade is enriched by a portal made of a linear frame surmounted by a trabeation with an overhang cornice leaning on two pilasters. Inside the church are guarded the effigies of St. Lucy and a valuable crucifix.
Cappella dell’Addolorata
The chapel dedicated to Our Lady of Sorrows, annexed to the baron Castle, has been built in the XVII century. A wooden ceiling, decorated with oil paintings on which it has been inserted within a frame, another oil painting showing a Pity, enriches the aisle-less structure. Over the altar there is a mannequin statue of Our Lady of Sorrows dating back to the XVIII century. The organ and the carved polychrome wooden chorus, carried by two columns, constitute another precious particulars. Behind the main altar there is a precious washstand fount with the mouth and the big mask sculpted in the stone. In the same room there are the graves of the Baron Giovanni Formica and his wife Barbara Donnaperna, died in 1814 and 1835.
Madonna della Grotta
An effigy of Our Lady of the Assumption is kept in this particular cave, realised at the beginning of the XX century. Its construction is linked to the figure of Donato Gruosso, a bandit who after having atoned for a punishment of 19 years of jail, was sent to Cirigliano as keeper over the works of construction of a road. Here, being him one of the few persons able for the times to write and read, he was asked by some parents of the village, to open a private school. As a teacher, often he hold lesson outside and, together with his pupils, he carved a rock, getting so a small chapel in devotion to Our Lady of the Assumption. On the last Sunday of May, a procession with a statue of Our Lady of the Assumption starts from the village to reach the countryside were the statue, one there, substitutes the effigy. On August 15th, the statue comes back in procession to the village in the main Church.
Torre di avvistamento
The massive tower, included in the boundary walls, was part of the fortification of the medieval village. The tower has been built, on a circle structure, using local stones and then it has been included in following structures. In the tower it is possible to observe some particulars that remind to its primary function, such as the hole obtained in the wall, under the brackets, and the loopholes, both realised to look over the territory. In the nearby, there are small examples of the urban boundary walls, built to defend the village. The fortification system should have run along the village perimeter and it should have had strategic lookout stations, so to observe the entire territory and to soon inform about the enemy arrival.
Il Mulino ad Acqua (Water mill)
The old water mill presents two building structures, one in function since the end of the XVIII century. As a consequence of a famine, in 1816 the baron Filippo Formica ordered the construction of a second mill, next to the oldest one. This construction never ended and it is still visible today in its ruins. The management of the mill was given to a so called “gabellotto”, on payment of a rent; the other figures working in the mill were the miller who was charged to provide to the maintenance of the millstone and the “saccaro” who brought the wheat to the hopper and sacked it.

The millstones were alimented by the energy provided by the waters of the river that were here directed through a system of artificial canals which developed for long distances above the mill, in order to ensure the necessary drop. The water flux in the canal was managed by a system of locks. The water, once reached the feeding tank overhanging the mill called “vaschera”, was carried - through a conical stony conduit - toward a wooden wheel which, thanks to a train of gears, activated the millstones.
  About Cirigliano
 History
 Gastronomy
 Architecture and Arts
 Handicrafts
 Religiuos Feasts
 The Carnival

Chiesa di Santa Lucia

Il Mulino ad acqua
 
     
  www.saporimediterranei.net
SAPORI MEDITERRANEI di Giovanni Ciliberti  |  Contact  |  Privacy Credits: adecom | basilicatanet.com